- Causes of Stress urinary incontinence, specifically weakened muscles.
- Prostatitis/ inflammation of the prostate gland
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)/ enlargement of the prostate gland
- Tissue/ nerve damage during childbirth.
- Vaginal delivery.
- Multiple pregnancies.
- Urethral area injury.
- Prostate cancer.
- Bladder cancer.
- Side-effects of certain medications.
- Previous pelvic surgery.
- Bladder stone.
- Kidney stone.
- Bladder stone.
- Uretery stone.
- Pelvic prolapse: Sliding of bladder, rectum or urethra upon/ into the vagina.
- Menopause: Lower estrogen level weakens the urethra.
- Sports injury.
When to approach your doctor?:
Leakage of urine happens during:
- Sneezing/ Coughing.
- Lift Heavy objects.
- Sexual intercourse.
- Any other physical activity.
- Frequent sudden urges to urinate.
Types Of Urinary Incontinence:
Diagnosis For Urinary Incontinence:
- Genital Examination.
- Rectal Examination.
- Sanitary pad test.
- Bladder cytoscopy.
- Pelvic/ abdominal ultrasound.
- PVR post void residual.
- Urinal Analysis.
- Urinary stress test.
- Urodynamic analysis.
- Dye X-rays.
- Pelvic examination to check if bladder/ urethra slide into the vagina.
Treatment For Urinary Incontinence:
- Kegel Exercises.
- Healthy lifestyle.
- Urine chart and bladder training.
- Anticholinergic medicine pills/ patches: Help block bladder muscle nerves.
- Temporary botox.
- Pelvic floor muscle exercises.
Types of Surgery:
- Device implantation: This controls spasms by stimulating nerves near the bladder using electric signals.
- Sling Insertion: To prevent leakage and to avoid sliding of bladder and instead hold it in a proper position by planting a a piece of a tissue like material.
- Bladder Pull: Surgery to reinstate the bladder in a normal/ close to normal position.
Smoother Life Precautions:
- Use of panty liners, plastic- coated under garments, adult diapers.
- Plastic mattress under the bed sheet for night protection.
All above, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.