- Growing age.
- Abnormalities in the hormones like testosterone, estrogen, DHT ie dihydrotstosterone.
- Obstructive urination.
- Inability to relieve urine.
- Frequent urination.
- Constant ache/ stiffness in lower back, hips, thighs.
- Blood in urine/ semen.
- Painful ejaculation/ troublesome erection.
- Painful/ burning during urination.
- Dribbling urine.
- Leaky bladder.
- Recurrent infections.
- Kidney damage.
- Digital rectal exam.
- Blood/ Urine tests.
- Urine flow analysis.
- Ultrasound scan.
- Prostrate biopsy.
- Scrotal ultrasound- Doppler mode.
Treatment Prostate Enlargement:
Cause based treatment:
- Alpha blockers: Relax the prostrate muscles and remove urinary obstruction.
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors: Disrupt testosterone.
- Trans-Urethral Resection of the Prostate (TURP): Removal of enlarged inner prostrate.
- Trans-Urethral needle abrasion (TUNA).
- Laser procedures: Remove obstructive prostrate tissue.
- Stenting therapy.
- Microwave therapy: Microwave energy for elimination of cells and shrink prostrate back to closer to normal size.
- Athletic supporter for pressure relief.
- Healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Avoid alcohol/ caffeine/ smoking.
- Avoid before bedtime fluids.
- Double voiding the bladder at a single visit.
- Relaxation therapy.
- Regular exercise.
- Drink liquids in small amounts not large amounts at once.
- Don’t resist the urge to urinate.
- Avoid decongestants.
- Avoid antihistamines.
- Regular check-up and tests.
- Prevention & rrecaution is better than cure.
All above, treatments are finalized taking into consideration the overall health, severity, age and other ailments of the patient.
Dr Prabhudev M Salanki provides best surgery for Prostate enlargement